It is good to see that more and more people are starting to care about their well-being by planting their own food in their own yards.
But what happens when you don’t have enough space to plant your favorite fruits and veggies? This article will help you to learn how to create vertical gardens by using soda bottles.Yes, soda bottles indeed.
Try this amazing idea.You’ll be able to grow your herbs,veggies and fruits.
Follow those steps and enjoy in your vertical garden.
1: Make the base for your tower
- Cut out the base of a soda bottle, but make sure you preserve some of the bottom curve, so the bottles “nest” together well. Get rid of the base.
- Pierce two drainage holes on the opposite sides of the bottle, preferably three inches off the cap. Use scissors to do that. Remember, you need tiny holes.
- Add in your potting mixture, compost or garden soil, and press lightly. Don’t fill your bottle to the top, leave an inch of free space.
- Secure the base of your vertical tower onto a fence or wires.
2: Build your tower
- Do the same with your other bottles. Remove the cap as well.
- Fill the bottle with soil, and again, leave an inch of free space.
- Nest the bottle onto the base, and secure it.
- Repeat this with 1-3 bottles.
3: It’s time to “build” the drip-irrigation system
Cut a soda bottle in half, preferably a midway to the cap. This will be your watering funnel.
Place it on top of your vertical tower, and “nest” it firmly in the soil.
Cut the bottom of your last bottle, and now you have your watering bottle.
Make a one mm hole in the cap.
Place your watering bottle onto the funnel.
Step 4: It’s planting time!
Draw a square onto each bottle, and cut the top and the sides of your 2-inch square. The uncut bottom side will help you hold the soil in.
Poke a hole, and plant your seeds or seedling. Fill your watering bottle every few days.
Your vertical planting tower is ready!
If you need a few ideas on what to plant, check our suggestions:
- Dandelion greens (taraxacum)
If your watering bottle doesn’t drip, it may be clogged. You may also need to check the drainage hole in its cap. Add some sand to the watering bottle to slow the dripping. This will provide a gradual and efficient watering. Nice!
Here’s the list of item you need for your vertical planting towel:
- 5 (or more) 2-liter soda bottles
- Box cutter/Knife
- Twine / Baling wire (3 feet)
- Chain link fence / Wire frame / Other supporting structure
- 3 seedlings / Seeds for your plants