Not being able to conceive is the definition of infertility. The thing is, certain couples forget to check whether both of them are fertile or not and that that is the reason they have trouble getting pregnant. They fail to realize the problem until after many failed attempts and disappointment that their infertility is what keeps them from having a baby.
How should you know if you are infertile? What are the symptoms? What would be the possible reasons? These are the questions you might ask and so, we will be giving you the information you needed to understand if you’re experiencing infertility.
Infertility signs are sometimes not obvious which makes it hard to determine. Others may have been diagnosed already before. 90% of couples will definitely achieve pregnancy within the first 12 months of unprotected intercourse if both of them were fertile. However, some couple or the remaining 10% will either have pregnancy naturally but takes longer time or through some medical assistance such as the In Vitro Fertilization or the IVF.
Here are the sign and symptoms you are looking for:
Signs of Infertility in Women
1. Irregular menstrual cycle
Irregular Menstruation is the abnormal bleeding which may frequently come even before 21 days of period or last longer than the usual 28 days plus or minus seven days. This may be caused by stress, pills intake or excessive exercise and diet. Symptoms are:
• Absent menstruation (amenorrhea)
• Short (less than 21 days)
• Long (over 35 days)
• Heavy or long menstruation
• Dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation)
• Short menstruation time
• Very pale menstruation
• Clotty or very dark purple/black menstruation
• Mid-cycle bleeding
2. Hormonal Imbalance
Hormonal imbalance may be one of the reasons why woman experiences irregular menstruation or other reproductive issues. This may cause variety of health problems if not given attention. Increase or decrease in the number of these hormones can cause hormonal imbalance:
• Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
• Luteinizing Hormone (LH)
• Androgens for example DHEA, Testosterone
• Thyroid hormones
Women at the age of 35 and above may experience a decrease in fertility. A 30-year old woman has 20% chance of getting pregnant during the fertilization cycle, but by the age of 40, possible pregnancy decreases down to 5%. Therefore, if your already aged 35 and still trying for 6 months, it’s time to see your doctor for medical attention.
Here are some fertility related diagnoses:
• Uterine Fibroids
• Ovarian Cysts
• Recurrent Miscarriages (more than 3)
• Blocked Fallopian Tubes
• Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
Signs of Infertility in Men
Most of the times, people tend to think that female partner has the problem if the couple can’t easily have a child. But the reality is that, there is as much reason for men to be infertile just like women. Much better if both partners will have their regular checkup.
Men do not usually know that they are infertile for most of their symptoms are not easily recognizable. They need more body monitoring techniques for them to identify what’s wrong with their body. Male factor infertility may be determined easily by doing sperm counts. The following issue can be determined after a complete semen analysis:
Production of testosterone and estrogen may determine one’s inability to fertilize. Hormonal imbalance and low sperm count may be caused by improper lifestyle and unhealthy diet. Usually, hormonal imbalance is characterized by low libido, abnormal hair growth and erectile dysfunction.
Erectile dysfunction is the inability to maintain and sustain erection during sexual intercourse. If erection is not sustained, there will be no ejaculation that will happen. Health related problems may cause this issue. When it happens, it’s time to see a doctor. Men at the age of 40 and over suffers from this problem.
The most common hormonal imbalance in men involves production of:
Sperm Count, Health & Delivery Issues are:
• Vas Deferens blockage-varicoceles or STD damage
• Low sperm count (oligospermia)
• Abnormal sperm shape (teratozoospermia)
• Abnormal or poor sperm movement (asthenozoospermia)
• Immobile sperm (necrozoospermia)-this is when the sperm do not move at all; the sperm may be dead, partially alive or alive, but do not move.
• Abnormal sperm production
• Genetic disorders
• Retrograde ejaculation
• Erectile dysfunction (ED)
• Vasectomy reversal- Up to 70% of men with vasectomy develop antisperm antibodies.
• Physical or structural abnormalities such as undescended testicle.
Other Health Issues Which May Affect Fertility of Both Men and Women:
• Thyroid issues
• Poor Adrenal Health
• Very low body weight
• Autoimmune disease
• Cancer (chemotherapy and radiation may cause Premature Ovarian Failure or Low Sperm count and health)
• Injury or trauma to reproductive organs, or one of the endocrine glands.
• Drug Addiction
• Long-term use of medications
• Heavy exposure to radiation or other environmental pollution