Chia seeds in the past is used by the Aztecs who not only ate them but also and used for religious purposes as well. Over time these seeds have become more and more popular. Chia seeds have many health benefits because they contain protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, omega-3 fats, antioxidants etc.
They also help with blasting fat, improving digestion, regenerating the skin, strenghtthening the body even increasing energy levels which is the main reason many athletes recommend it.
We can mention just one great reason to use them such as colon cancer prevention but the list goes on :
- They are glutten free
- They promote nail, hair and skin health
- They contain 3 times more iron than spinach
- They contain 20 % protein
- They contain 8 types of amino acids
- They contain 2 times more potassium than bananas
- They contain 5 times more calcium than milk
- Due to their high fiber content they treat digestive issues
- They are ideal for diabetics because they regulate glucose levels in the blood
- They contain 7 times more vitamin C than oranges
- They contain 8 times more omega-3 than salmon, making them best foods for brain and heart health
Chia seeds have a nutty and mild flavor and can be eaten with both savory and sweet foods. Similarly to flaxseeds, they can be eaten whole and ground. You can add them to smoothies, salads, breads and muffins.
In Mexican and Central American cuisine they are used in the drink- chia fresco. It’s a mix of chia seeds, lemon or lime juice coconut oil, pineapple juice and almonds to make this awesome drink.
In your daily diet you can use 1 or 2 spoons to get the wonderful benefits such as: 10 grams of fiber, 5grams of protein, 9 grams of fat and 18% of the daily value for calcium.