Although beets have the highest sugar levels of all vegetables, it’s safe to eat them a few times a week. Actually, even more than safe, it’s life-changing! The powerful nutrients they are rich in can significantly improve your health on many levels.
Here are some of the benefits of beets:
- Lower Your Blood Pressure
Beet juice can lower your blood pressure in a few hours. A study showed that drinking 1 glass of beet juice can lower systolic blood pressure by an average of 4-5 points. Beets are beneficial due to the naturally occurring nitrates they contain, which are converted into nitric oxide in the body, which in turn relax and dilate the blood vessels, thus lowering blood pressure and improving blood flow.
- Boost Your Stamina
Beet juice can be also beneficial in the case you need a boost to make it through your next workout. People who consume beet juice just before exercise were able to exercise for up to 16% longer. The nitrates that turn into nitric oxide can reduce the oxygen cost of low-intensity exercise and enhance tolerance to high-intensity exercise.
- Fight Inflammation
Beets are a great source of betaine, a nutrient which has the ability to protect cells, enzymes, and proteins from environmental stress. It can also fight inflammation, enhance performance, improve vascular risk factors, protect internal organs and prevent a number of chronic diseases. The World’s Healthiest Foods reported that diet which is rich in betaineis related to lower levels of several inflammatory markers including tumor necrosis factor alpha, interleukin-6, and C reactive protein. Many studies proved that the anti-inflammatory molecules found in beets can be extremely beneficial for cardiovascular diseases.
- Anti-Cancer Properties
Beets contain powerful phytonutrients that are extremely beneficial in the case of cancer. According to a study, beetroot extract managed to reduce multi-organ tumor formations in numerous animal models. It has been also shown that beetroot extract can provide many benefits in the treatment of human breast, prostate, and pancreatic cancer.
- Rich in Valuable Nutrients and Fiber
Beets are abundant in vitamin C, fiber, and minerals like manganese which is great for your pancreas, kidneys, liver, and bones, and potassium, essential for healthy nerve and muscle function. Beets also have B vitamin folate in their content, which can reduce the risk of birth defects.
- Detoxification Support
Beets have betalin pigments which can support the Phase 2 detoxification process of the body ( the process when broken down toxins are bound to other molecules so they can be eliminated from the body). Beets have also the ability to purify your liver and blood.
- Beets are extremely beneficial for your vision
- They are a great source of magnesium, copper, potassium, magnesium, iron, and calcium
- Beets have potent anti-cancer properties, and can provide amazing benefits for people who suffer from cancer. You can consume them as a salad or as juice.
- If you do not like their peculiar taste, you can add an apple or any other fruit or vegetable. You can also combine them with carrots in order to obtain the best results for improving your vision.
- If you want to combine both vegetables, you can either chop them up, and eat them as a salad, or blend them together.